H005DE Biomass Installation
Waxman Training Academy, Grove Mills, Elland Lane, West Yorkshire, HX5 9DZ
5 DAY COURSE – THEORY & PRACTICAL ASSESSMENT
2 DAY BRIDGING COURSE
The HETAS H005DE course is aimed at renewable energy installers who wish to specify, install and maintain pellet, log and chip biomass systems in both domestic and commercial settings. The course focuses on appliances up to 45kW; however, the course content and principles are relevant for larger systems up to 100kW output.
What are the aims of this course?
The aim of this course is to develop the knowledge of existing plumbing/heating engineers in biomass installation enabling them to offer comprehensive heating solutions to clients. From system design and sizing through to commissioning, service and maintenance, the H005DE course covers a wide range of topics in relation to mechanically fed appliances. Successful candidates may choose to apply for accreditation under MCS.
What are the prerequisites?
The course is designed for experienced plumbing and heating engineers with at least one of the following qualiﬁcations:
• N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Plumbing or equivalent earlier certiﬁcation that provides evidence of competence
• N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Heating and Ventilating (Domestic Installation) or equivalent earlier certiﬁcation that provides evidence of competence
• N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Heating and Ventilating (Industrial and Commercial Installation) or equivalent earlier certiﬁcation that provides evidence of competence
• N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Oil-Fired Technical Services or equivalent earlier certiﬁcation that provides evidence of competence
• N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Gas Installation and Maintenance or equivalent earlier certiﬁcation that provides evidence of competence
This should include Water Regulations/Water Byelaws (WRAS or equivalent). There is also an “Experienced Worker Route” portfolio which maybe suitable for candidates who do not meet the prerequisites above. Candidates should contact the training centre directly as the portfolio will need to be completed in advance of the course being undertaken. The following scope of work might be acceptable for the Experienced Worker portfolio:
• Previous related work experience within the plumbing and heating industry
• Already a competent person within a scheme possessing a history of installation experience
• Successful completion of an OFTEC training course 101,102 or 105e
• A valid current gas safe registration with minimum categories of work: CCN1 and CEN1
• City & Guilds 6128, 6129 and 6132 technical certiﬁcates
What subjects will the course cover?
The HETAS H005DE Biomass Installation course will cover the following topics and subject areas:
• Fuel types, selection and storage
• Principles of combustion
• Appliance types and operating principles
• Legislation, regulations and industry guidance
• Flue systems for solid fuel appliances
• Ventilation requirements
• Flue and chimney inspection and testing
• Biomass appliance selection
• System sizing
• Commissioning and decommissioning
• Services and maintenance
• Calculating the heat load and system performance
What assessements are involved?
The course will incorporate classroom based learning, practical assessments and multiple choice examinations.
What do I need for this course?
All training manuals, technical handbooks and certiﬁcation fees are included in the course fee. For the candidate application and registration process you will need your National Insurance number and a passport sized photograph.
What status do I receive if I pass the course?
Following successful completion of the course, a training certiﬁcate will be awarded enabling the candidate to apply for registration with HETAS on the competent person scheme including the installation of biomass appliances. Candidates may wish to apply for accreditation via the Microgeneration Certiﬁcation Scheme (MCS).
H005DE: 2 Day bridging course
Candidates already with the HETAS H005 or H003 full scope (5 day course) qualification can choose the 2-day Bridging Course which covers the biomass specific units in H005DE; this is an ideal route for installers with prior HETAS experience seeking accreditation under MCS.
From the HETAS H005DE you can progress to H006 or H008
Click here to view our HETAS H000 Course
Click here to view our HETAS H001 Course
Click here to view our HETAS H002 Course
Click here to view our HETAS H003DS Course
Click here to view our HETAS H004 Course
Click here to view our HETAS H005DE Course
Click here to view our HETAS H006 Course
Click here to view our HETAS H008 Course
Click here to view our HETAS H009 Course
Click here to view our HETAS Solid Fuel +Plus Course